Meylan, June 2017 – Linde Engineering has selected RSI to provide the high fidelity process model of the Operator Training Simulators (OTS) for the new Amur gas processing complex with the world largest helium production and liquefaction facility.
The Amur gas processing plant (AGPP) consists of 6 parallel trains for NGL Recovery and Nitrogen / Helium Rejection as well as 3 parallel trains for Helium Purification, Liquefaction and Storage. The Owner of the plants will be Gazprom Pererabotka Blagoveshchensk LLC.
The Amur gas processing plant (AGPP) near the city of Svobodny, Amur Region, will be the largest such plant in Russia and one of the biggest in the world.
The plant will extract ethane, propane, butane, pentane-hexane fraction and helium from natural gas and process it for shipment to China. It will produce 42 billion cubic meters of natural gas per year, up to 60 million cubic meters of helium per year, around 2.5 million tons of ethane per year, around 1 million tons of propane per year, around 500,000 tons of butane per year and around 200,000 tons pentane-hexane fraction per year.
The AGPP will include the world’s largest helium cryogenic recovery and production facility.
The plant will be supplied with multi-component gas from the Yakutia and Irkutsk gas production centers, which are being established by Gazprom within the Eastern Gas Program. The processed gas will be delivered to China.
RSI will provide a process model as part of a stimulated / direct connect OTS system. The Operator’s environment will be replicated by using graphics from the actual plant’s DCS.
RSI will be the main supplier of the OTS systems, and responsible for the functionality and handover of the complete system. RSI’s turn-key responsibilities for the OTS project will include:
- Delivery of process simulation hardware and software
- Development of first-principle, high-fidelity dynamic process model of the AGPP using IndissPlus® dynamic simulation software for the following process units:
- NGL Recovery
- Nitrogen / Helium Rejection
- Hydrogen Removal
- Helium Recovery
- Helium Recovery Compression
- Flare System
- Integration of the process model with Yokogawa Centum VP control & ProSafe-RS safety system
RSI will work in close collaboration with Linde Engineering to develop an accurate and reliable OTS and to provide unique solutions combining training services and dynamic simulators.
The dynamic process models will be developed using IndissPlus proprietary high fidelity simulation platform and linked to Yokogawa Centum VP and ProSafe-RS soft controllers and operator workstations. The OTS will be used to develop the skills of the workforce, to facilitate commissioning of the control and safety systems and to train the panel operators before the start-up of the process units.
The main objective of the Amur GPP OTS is intense hands-on training of the operators prior to commissioning of the plant and at regular intervals after plant start-up (refresher training). This includes:
- Training of normal plant operation, start-up and shut-down procedures
- Training of process disturbances and upsets, hazard conditions, malfunctions and equipment failure, which may occur very seldom during plant operation but may result in extremely critical process situations
- Understanding of process interactions and dynamics
- Understanding of control strategies
- Familiarisation with DCS interface and functions
In addition to operator training, the following benefits can be realised with the Amur GPP OTS:
- Test and verification of basic control strategies
- Verification of DCS database prior to plant start-up, including graphic design and configuration of control schemes and logic
- Verification of operating procedures (including start-up and shut-down) prior to plant start-up
- Obtaining of initial controller settings for the real plant